Men and Women’s Health
Foods to Eat & Enjoy:
- Eat a diet rich in fruit, vegetables, beans and whole grains.
- Follow the 80:20 rule.
- The lower you eat in the food chain, the more you will reduce your risk of breast, bowel and prostate cancer and also your risk of heart disease and diabetes.
- Avoid smoking and drink alcohol in small amounts, especially if you are a woman.
- Start your day with a warm glass of fresh lemon water
- Make yourself a green smoothie regularly and sip slowly. ( blend kale, spinach, lemon, mint, ginger, banana and an apple along with some flaxseeds and wheatgrass)
- Spinach, in salad or cooked (Helps vision, delays cataracts)
- Tomatoes, cooked better than raw, – aim for at least one serving a day (prostate problems and reduces cancer because of lycopenes)
- Berries, esp blueberries, raspberries – antioxidants
- Broccoli, mushrooms , garlic – antioxidants + cardio protective
- Drink 2 litres of water, green tea – anti aging
- Pomegranates/pomegranate juice better than red wine
- Dark Chocolate 70% at least – a few small squares, rich in iron / mood elevator
- Porridge oats (healthiest and the most filling breakfast)
- Take 4 tablespoons of porridge oats (not easy cook variety but organic unprocessed oats) in 1 cup of soy milk in a deep bowl, microwave for 2 minutes at high power, add hot water or more soy milk as needed, add almonds or pecans, fresh berries, banana or apple, raisins on top
- Daily handful of nuts and seeds, unsalted, Linseed oil or powder
- Aim for 10 portions of fruit and veg daily (80 grams one portion)
- RAINBOW COLOUR veg /fruit(green, orange, red, yellow etc)
- Try and avoid dairy – too many hormones, implicated in breast and ovarian and prostate cancer
- Soya, rice / oat milk, tofu excellent and safe for all ages/ both sexes
- Exercise regularly – combine aerobics and weights
- 30 min of walking daily, Park as far as possible
- Avoid the lift, do housework with gusto!
- Gardening and DIY
- Sport – swimming, tennis, anything that you enjoy
- Take up Yoga, karate or Tai Chi
- Meet up with friends regularly, Spend time with family
- Avoid Saturated and Trans Fats – crisps, biscuits, cakes
- Avoid Red Meat – eat cheat meats – Turkey, bacon etc from soya, available in health food shops, taste the same without the sat fats
- EAT – brown pasta, brown rice, seeded bread, salads, beans
- LEARN COOKING NEW DISHES
- Work on 80:20 rule that is eat well majority of the time
- Your life in your hands – Understanding, preventing and overcoming Breast cancer, by Professor Jane Plant
Nitu Bajekal, Consultant, Barnet Hospital, March 2014